Cash for used vehicles and other scrap. Amazon.ca
Call Gary: 647-242-8066 Specializing
Tell him Al sent you. In Gadgets


Tuesday 15 May 2012

New Beginnings: The Phone Call

 Although I have had my Dads phone number for over a week now, I still haven't called.At the same time I Emailed him my number too. It came down to an inbox on Facebook tonight from my step mother, she asked for my number again. I instantly replied and said call anytime.
 I carried on with getting the trash ready, not thinking anymore of the message. As I was heading for the door with the garbage the phone rang. My heart skipped a beat. I knew it was him. My Dad was on the other end of the phone. First time I've heard his voice in over thirty years, but I recognized his voice immediately. Hard to believe I could remember what he would sound like but I did.
 Once the hellos were over with we were both ready for the awkward moments of silence, but there weren't any. We tried figuring out how to get our clans together at one time in one place. He says there are ten of them that want to meet us and with my five,soon to be six, that's a whole lot of people to get on the same page.
 We agreed to see if I can find my way to them, failing that my Dad and his wife,Camilla, would come here and we'd meet the rest another time. I'm really looking forward to this. If all goes well I'll be calling him in a couple of day to figure out when and where, balls back in my court.But that's ok.
 As we said our good byes I called him Dad. First time I can remember saying that word to him. My voice wavered as I said it. Kathryn says it was the only time that there was any sign of breakdown in my voice. Up to this point, it has always been Carl. Now I'm somewhere between acceptance and comfort. He is my Dad and deserves a chance.
 Facebook has been an icebreaker of sorts.Kathryn and I feel like we already know my sister. The phone call would have never happened if we did not connect on line first. Now that all the initial hellos are over with, its time to move forward to a brighter future.

No comments:

Post a Comment